[Mailman-Users] Is there a way to run the daemons (qrunner) on demand only when a message arrives in the queue?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Dec 17 06:23:58 CET 2013

On 12/15/2013 04:12 PM, Steven Mading wrote:

> This pattern adds the cost of extra lag to the response, but
> this buys you a lower footprint the rest of the time when it's idle, and it
> also buys you the ability to not have to constantly monitor to make sure
> that a process that hasn't had anything to do for a long time is still
> running.
>
> It would be wonderful if I could do a thing like that with qrunner.
>
> Is there an option that I can turn on somewhere that does this and I just
> can't find it in the documentation?

No.

> If not I'll cobble together a small script that will look at Mailman's
> pending queue directory and when it starts having files in it, the script
> will run "/etc/init.d/mailman start", and when it has no files in it, it
> will run "/etc/init.d/mailman stop".
>
> It's a crude solution so I'd rather not use it if there's something more
> elegant built in to Mailman that I didn't notice.

Inelegant as it is, that's probably the best you can do.

You might consider treating separate queues separately. I.e., when
there's something in qfiles/in (/var/spool/mailman/in on RedHat) run

bin/qrunner --runner=IncomingRunner:0:1

and then when the queue is empty send that process a SIGTERM and
similarly for the out queue and OutgoingRunner, the archive queue and
ArchRunner, and the other 5 runners.