[Mailman-Users] Questions on Mailman list administration.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Dec 14 21:47:00 CET 2013

On 12/14/2013 01:13 AM, Joe wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> I am the admin for 5 Mailman lists residing on the same server and part of the same domain. There are tasks I have been performing with great frequency lately and have started to question if there is a simpler way to perform them.

and later added:
> Any admin I do must be done using the browser interface available in Mailman.

> These are the questions:
>
> 1. I often subscribe members to the 5 lists myself. As it is now I have to subscribe the same member to each one of the 5 lists individually. In case I wish to subscribe members to all 5 lists hosted is there a way to do it all at the same time ?

You could create a script on your work station to issue 'wget' commands
to do the subscribes. See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/uIA9> and
the post at
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-December/041214.html>.

The script could be something like

#!/bin/sh
for list in listname1 listname2 listname3 listname4 listname5; do
wget -O - http://[domain.name]/mailman/admin/$list/members/add\
?subscribees="$1"\
&adminpw=[admin_password]\
&send_welcome_msg_to_this_batch=0\
&send_notifications_to_list_owner=0
done

If this were saved in a file named say sub5 and given execute
permission, you could then in a terminal window do

/path/to/sub5 "John Doe <jdoe at example.com>"

to subscribe that user to the 5 lists. See the above linked post for
more info on the wget command parameters.

> 2. Is there a way to look at the lists hosted collectively ? For instance, in case I wish to read (on screen) or print a list with all subscribers in one or all lists is there a way to do it with all lists being displayed together on the same page or document ?

You could script the answer to 3. below.

> 3. Is there a way to print a list of subscribers along with their e-mail addresses ?

Visit the roster at <http://host.name/mailman/roster/list_name directly
or via the Visit Subscriber List button on the list's listinfo page.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/YoA9>.

> 5. Is there a way to print user statistics ? For instance, can I print a list with information on users such as the number of messages they have posted in a given time period, their country of origin, date when they were subscribed to the lists, e-mail address, and others ?

No.