[Mailman-Users] Personalized header based on Gender.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Aug 14 03:08:15 CEST 2013

On 08/13/2013 01:56 PM, Patrick McEvoy wrote:

> I have turned on Full Personalization so I can have the individual's
> email address in the To field instead of the list email address.  I am
> adding a personalized header to the list as well and would like to know
> if there is any way to personalize the header based on gender.  For
> example Dear Mr for males and Dear Mrs females.

Not in current Mailman. This would require modification to add a gender
or a salutation attribute for each list member. If this were done,
adding a new substitution variable for it is very easy, but adding the
mechanism to collect and store the per-user data is more difficult.

Why not just use 'Dear %(user_name)s:'. Of course, you'd then find that
many users don't provide a display name, which issue would probably
apply to providing gender as well.