[Mailman-Users] mailman 2.1.14 stops sending mail

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Apr 10 22:59:24 CEST 2013

On 4/10/2013 8:43 AM, Millsap, James wrote:

> mailman  15854     1  0 10:01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/mailmanctl -s start
> mailman  15861 15854  0 10:01 ?        00:00:06 /usr/bin/python /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=OutgoingRunner:0:1 -s
>
> I have to kill the outgoingrunner specifically.  The only thing I see in the logs is a lack of logging.  It has been running with stunning reliability on this machine for the last few years, so I am not sure what is going on.  Perhaps one of redhat's patches killed it.

Can you kill -TERM it or do you need to kill -KILL it?

Are you sure there's nothing relevant in Mailman's qrunner log
(/var/log/mailman/qrunner if a rhel packaged Mailman)? Is there a
current .bak file in the out queue (/var/spool/mailman/out/)

What does 'lsof' show for the process? You might be able to get
something useful from 'gdb' or maybe see something like
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/132058/showing-the-stack-trace-from-a-running-python-application>.

If I had to guess, I'd guess it gets hung waiting for an SMTP response
from the MTA.