[Mailman-Users] Mailman SMTP reasonable response time

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Apr 6 07:57:47 CEST 2013

On 4/5/2013 8:29 AM, Hung Phan wrote:
> We use OpenNMS to monitor services such as SMTP and HTTP on our Mailman server. OpenNMS logs issues throughout the night (every 20 minutes apart) that "SMTP outage identified on interface Ethernet 1 with reason code: Did not receive expected response within timeout timeout: 3000ms retry: 1 of 1."

Why do you thing this has anything to do with Mailman?

> What is the reasonable response time for Mailman SMTP? Any other factors that may affect the response time? We never receive these errors before, just starting last night.

Mailman only does SMTP to the outgoing MTA which is normally on the
local machine accessed via localhost (i.e. the loopback port) and not
via any ethernet port.

My best guess is your MTA has a queued message which may or may not have
originated from Mailman, and this message is addressed to a domain whose
MX is not responding. Thus the timeouts and retries at 20 minute
intervals which will probably get longer depending on the MTA's retry
policies.