[Mailman-Users] Admin approval messages not being sent

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Apr 1 23:40:32 CEST 2013

Christopher Adams wrote:

>I can send mail outside of Mailman to the listname-owner address and it
>delivers correcty regardless of whether the list owners are inside the
>local subnet. The problem only seems to occur when sending through the
>Mailman server and Postfix.

When you send mail originating outside Mailman to the listname-owner
address it is ultimately delivered to Postfix from Mailman for the
owner/moderator recipients in exactly the same way as a Mailman
generated notice.

There are a few differences in the headers of the message ultimately
sent to the owner/moderator recipients and of course, the bodies are
different (but you could test manually sending a copy of an actual
notice).

The major difference is the From: header which in the cast of the
message you send has hour address and in the case of the notice has
the listname-owner address. The notice also has headers like

that probably aren't in the manually generated message.

Perhaps the issue is that there is spam filtering in the local network
that discards Precedence: bulk messages destined for local recipients.

>It is also possible that the central server that mail is routed through is
>not looking kindly on the admin notifications, so I will look in to that as
>well as problems with Postfix.

Yes, particularly the Precedence: header.