[Mailman-Users] Configuring mailman on a VM where host ip != relay ip

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 20 18:18:48 CEST 2012

I am trying to set up mailman on a VM and have it up and running.
However, when it tries to send mail it is deferred with a 450 message:

450 service permits 2 unverifyable sending IPs - <mail host FQDN> is not
nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn (in reply to MAIL FROM command))

I am assuming this is because the mailing hostname resolves to an IP but
the reverse lookup on that IP is the relay hostname instead. I know that
somewhere in either mailman or Postfix this can be fixed but I cannot
find anything on how to do that (probably because I don't know what key
words to search for). Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks.