[Mailman-Users] Ddelivery status not sent to Mailman

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Sep 17 01:04:01 CEST 2012

Futchko, Rose wrote:

>>Sapiro, Mark wrote:
>
>>>Are you certain that the DSNs your posters are receiving come from
>your organization's Postfix?

>No, the response are coming from the destination DSN's.

[...]
>How can I configure posted messages sent to only send errors back to the
>list owner or moderator? Some of the mail lists have over 2,000
>participants, and do not want to flood valid posters mailboxes with
>messages that cannot be delivered.

You can't. Mailman is already doing everything it can short of munging
the From: address of posts to ensure that DSNs are returned to
Mailman. In addition to setting the envelope sender of posts to the
listname-bounces address, Mailman also puts the listname-bounces
address in Sender: and Errors-To: headers in the post.

If in spite of all this and in violation of all standards, some remote
MTA insists on returning a DSN to the From: address, there are really
only two things you can do.

You can contact the admins of the MTA that sends the DSN and complain.
This is probably futile.

You or another list admin can post fairly frequently to the list, and
when you receive a DSN addressed to you, immediately remove the
offending recipient from the list.