[Mailman-Users] Automated Subscription Bots Inundating List Owners With Subscription Requests

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Tue Oct 30 04:36:31 CET 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-29 at 21:04 +0000, Kalbfleisch, Gary wrote:
> I like to stick with packages when possible because it makes
> maintenance much easier.

As do I.  There are times, however, when mission-critical packages in a
distribution are outdated, or absent, or broken and building from source
is the only option.  IMHO, having the knowledge and the tools on one's
system to do builds from the upstream source is an important system
administration skill.  I always seem to have one or two packages on any
box that end up being built from source.  Mailman is one of them,
because I have a number of patches for it that I've developed, and
because building and installing it from source is very easy.

Juggling packages vs. upstream source is something you get used to.  All
package management system that I know of have ways of freezing packages
at a certain level or version so that your custom builds don't get
crosswise of package management.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Real programmers use butterflies"
FMP Computer Services |