[Mailman-Users] Automated Subscription Bots Inundating List Owners With Subscription Requests

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Mon Oct 29 19:25:25 CET 2012

On Thu, 2012-10-18 at 23:53 +0000, Kalbfleisch, Gary wrote:
> I am running 2.1.9 because that is the latest version available from
> Redhat as a package.

It's relatively simple to install Mailman from the source package, but
one thing that would help a great deal with this would be default
inclusion in the built package of a standard text or script that would
contain, or issue, the arguments provided to configure during the build
process.  There are several critical parameters including the prefix,
the var-prefix and of course the mail-gid which ought to be readily
available for this purpose.

If you've already built Mailman from source, this information is of
course available in the config.log, but for people installing Mailman
from an outdated package from a distribution, and wanting to catch up
with the latest improvements or security fixes, having this information
available as part of the distributed end product would be a big help.
This is already done for many large and complex packages, would be a big
help in making the transition from a pre-built Mailman package to a
source-based update.

Maybe this information is already available.  I only spent about 5
minutes looking for it outside of the source tree and couldn't find it.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Behold! Our way lies through a
FMP Computer Services |    dark wood whence in which