[Mailman-Users] Mailman Downgrade from 2.1.15 to 2.1.13 possible ?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Oct 29 19:18:50 CET 2012

Torsten Giebl wrote:

>Is a downgrade from Mailman 2.1.15 to 2.1.13 possible ?
>I know downgrades are not officially supported.
>If it is possible, what do i have to do ?

It should be possible without problems, but why do you want to do this.
Perhaps what you want to accomplish can be done by configuration
changes in Mailman 2.1.15.

Assuming you installed Mailman 2.1.15 from a GNU Mailman project
tarball distribution, downgrade would be accomplished by downloading
and unpacking the 2.1.13 tarball (See
<https://launchpad.net/mailman/+download?memo=10&start=10>), and
running configure and make, stopping Mailman and possibly the web
server, running make install and starting the stopped services just as
you would for an upgrade.

Note that make install runs bin/update which will detect the downgrade,
issue a warning and do nothing. You can ignore the warning in this
case.

Not that this process won't work for all downgrades because of
irreversable database changes that have occurred, but it should be OK
for 2.1.15 -> 2.1.13.