[Mailman-Users] Download pipermail archives, convert to mbox file (script)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Oct 17 23:25:26 CEST 2012

John Magolske wrote:

>Sometimes before subscribing to a list I like to download the archives
>and convert them into an mbox file for nice threaded browsing &
>searching using familiar tools (for me, Mutt and mairix).

If the list's archive is public and you are not a subscriber, your
script is probably fine (I didn't look in detail), but if you are
willing to subscribe first, whether the archives are private or
public, you can get the list's entire cummulative mbox archive with
something like

wget
'http://www.example.com/mailman/private/LIST.mbox/LIST.mbox?username=U&password=P'

where LIST is the list name, U is a list member's address and P is that
member's list password. This has the advantage of getting all the
message's headers as processed by Mailman with the exception of those
added by SMTPDirect.py (Sender: and Errors-To:), not just those few
that are in the periodic .txt or .txt.gz files.