[Mailman-Users] GNU Mailman, admins and passwords

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Oct 8 06:12:49 CEST 2012

On 10/5/2012 1:04 AM, shirish शिरीष wrote:

> Secondly, please CC
> me if somebody answers to this query as I have stopped mail delivery
> from the list.

Then you should read the list archives on the web to see your post and
any replies. Some people Cc the poster routinely for various reasons,
and some do not, but you don't need to ask people do do things they
wouldn't ordinarily do when there is a simple alternative.

> What I want to know if administrators can have some sort of own unique
> passwords which Mailman can authenticate as to who took what steps ?

Not in Mailman 2.1, but this will be the case in Mailman 3, at least the
unique password part.

> looked up both the archives and the wiki  to see if something similar
> was asked before but somehow wasn't able to get any clear answers.
>
> I got the following results but they seem to be different and unsatisfactory :-
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/site.html

I don't know to which specific part of this you are referring.

> http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg50419.html

The author of this post is confused. One can authenticate for private
archive access with the list admin password and any or no email address
(the email address is ignored for authentication via the list admin
password unless the admin password is coincidentally the same as the
member password for the provided email address), but members
authenticate with their own email address and member password.