[Mailman-Users] Unable to create new list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Oct 1 22:00:08 CEST 2012

Andreas Nitsche wrote:

>Can you tell me with which user this command gets executed? I had a look
>at the aliases file:
>
>-rw-rw----. 1 mailman-zaubert.net nobody  2159 30. Sep 13:33 aliases
>-rw-r-----. 1 mailman-zaubert.net nobody 49152 30. Sep 13:33 aliases.db

These ownerships and permissions are wrong. Both files should be have
group = Mailman's group for this instance (mailman-zaubert.net?), not
group nobody, and aliases.db should be group writable.

The owner of aliases.db must also be  Mailman's group for this instance
as it appears to be. The owner of aliases is immaterial. Usually is is
the user who last created a list with newlist or the web server user.

I don't know how these files got the ownership and permissions they
have, but I think this is the issue.

To answer your specigik question, the web create process runs with user
= the web server user and group = Mailman's group for that instance.

>I looked at the audit.log, because SELinux is enabled, but it's empty.

Once you fix the above, you may run into SELinux issues, but the above
needs to be fixed first.