[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Postfix-style Virtual Domains (not a problem, only a question!)

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Mon Oct 1 19:46:08 CEST 2012

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012, Norbert Aschendorff wrote:

> I'm maintaining a server with Postfix and Mailman including
> Postfix-style virtual domains. This works fine so far.
> But is it normal that the creation of a list for a virtual subdomain
> ($prefix/bin/newlist -e subdomain listname) not only creates entries in
> $prefix/data/virtual-mailman, but also in the aliases file for the
> "main" domain ($prefix/data/aliases)? I didn't find anything on the web,
> there are only issues related to non-found hash DBs or missing virtual
> domains etc.

Yes, this is normal.  Compare and contrast the following example from
virtual-mailman

staff at mintfm.net              staff
staff-admin at mintfm.net        staff-admin
staff-bounces at mintfm.net      staff-bounces
staff-confirm at mintfm.net      staff-confirm
staff-join at mintfm.net         staff-join
staff-leave at mintfm.net        staff-leave
staff-owner at mintfm.net        staff-owner
staff-request at mintfm.net      staff-request
staff-subscribe at mintfm.net    staff-subscribe

with the equivalent from aliases:

staff:             "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post staff"
staff-admin:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin staff"
staff-bounces:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces staff"
staff-confirm:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm staff"
staff-join:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join staff"
staff-leave:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave staff"
staff-owner:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner staff"
staff-request:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request staff"
staff-subscribe:   "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe staff"
staff-unsubscribe: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe staff"

The first one maps from the actual Email address (including domain) to the
alias for the list.  The second points these aliases to the commands they
actually need to run.

> But in mailman-install.pdf which I used for the installation, there's
> the following sentence: "Mailman’s support of virtual domains is limited
> in that list names must be globally unique within a single Mailman
> instance, i.e., two lists may not have the same name even if they are in
> different domains."

Right.  If I made another staff list in a different domain, the stock
Mailman would still point it to the alias "staff".

> Is that related? Or am I doing something wrong?

Providing you aren't wanting to make two lists with the same name in two
different domains, you're doing just fine.

Geoff.