[Mailman-Users] what is a virtual domain?

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 07:41:32 CET 2012

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 11:56:50 -0600, Lindsay Haisley wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 19:38 -0800, Thufir wrote:
>> How does a virtual domain differ from a domain?
>
> To add to what Mark said, technically a "virtual domain" is a domain
> name that resolves in the domain name system to the same IP address as
> the primary ("real") domain name for your host.  A server host can have
> many domain names, all pointing to the same IP address, and this is
> common for web and mail servers these days.

It's not totally clear.  I suppose it's a somewhat unusual situation
because I'm only using my computer and not an intranet or anything along
those lines.  This configuration is down to postfix?

I don't think I'm using a virtual domain but only a local domain.  (And
only a local domain, nothing should go out to the internet.)

I'm going with using my vanity domain:

root at dur:~#
root at dur:~# newlist mailman
Enter the email of the person running the list: thufir at dur.bounceme.net
Initial mailman password:
To finish creating your mailing list, you must edit your /etc/aliases (or
equivalent) file by adding the following lines, and possibly running the
`newaliases' program:

dur.bounceme.net is a local domain.  It doesn't exist in any DNS I'm
aware of.  It's just a FQDN which I got from no-ip.com as a free "host".
  It's unique, but I don't own the bounceme.net domain as a whole, only
have access to that sub-domain.

I have postfix configured, hopefully, to only send mail to this machine
and not to try to send anything to the internet.

I'm not on the wrong track with mailman?  Assuming Postfix and my hosts
and so forth are configured correctly, of course...

thanks,

Thufir