[Mailman-Users] Web Admin Security Question

C Nulk CNulk at scu.edu
Wed May 23 16:48:50 CEST 2012

Hello Dennis,

If you are using the CentOS 5 and installed Apache as part of the
install, you should have a file called 'ssl.conf' in the
'/etc/httpd/conf.d/' directory.  Have you set up that file correctly?
When I set up my system, I needed to make a few changes to that file.
In my file, I have a virtual host ("_default_") and within the virtual
host configuration there is a switch to turn on the SSL Engine called
"SSLEngine"  values are on or off.  Make sure it is on.  Also, make sure
your certificates are correct in the file.  For your ssl logs, the file
may be pointing your logs to a different location other than
/var/log/httpd, but I doubt it.  Check to be sure.

As for redirecting from http to https, here are my rules (in a file
called mailman.conf in /etc/httpd/conf.d along with other mailman rules):

   RedirectMatch ^[/]*$
https://%{HTTP_HOST}/mailman/listinfo

although instead of %{HTTP_HOST} I have the actual hostname.

I also don't bother with the rewrite rules, like turning the rewrite
engine on etc..  I do load the rewrite_module ('modules/mod_rewrite.so)
but so far, I have needed to use it.  The Redirect set of commands use
the mod_alias module.  It seems to work for me.

Good Luck,
Chris