[Mailman-Users] unsubscribe one user from many lists

Rafael Lang rafael at purdue.edu
Wed May 16 02:37:54 CEST 2012

Hi Mailmen and -women,

I'd like to administrate some ~20 email lists of a team of people
working together via mailman. Once a user leaves the team, I should
unsubscribe this user from all lists that he's on. How do I do this
without having to click through 20 web interfaces?

First I thought, hey, I simply send an unsubscribe email, just like the
subscribe email. Well, that doesn't work though, since unsubscription
always requires the user password, which I don't have of course. So I
searched around and found this thread:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-July/037815.html

about exactly this. Now, that suggests a global change by patching a
python script. But since the mail server I'm using is actually for a
whole institute, the administrator probably has little interest to
globally change his Mailman/Commands/cmd_unsubscribe.py just because of
my 20 mailing lists, in particular since some of his other lists may be
more security sensitive than mine. In addition, if I try to patch this
file rather than having some patch from somebody who actually knows
python ;-) he probably won't like it anyway...

So I continued searching and stumbled across the possibility of doing
this via wget:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-December/041214.html

and

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-December/041220.html

Wow, that would be fantastic! :-) I could simply shell script that, not
even worrying whether the user is subscribed to all 20 lists and just
batch-unsubscribe (if the user wouldn't be on a given list, nothing
would happen, so that's OK) Now, I'm not super sure I got the command
line right, this is what I tried:

and I also tried to directly enter

into my browser. In both cases what I got back was:

problem.  Printing of traceback and other system information has been
explicitly inhibited, but the webmaster can find this information in the
Mailman error logs.

and now I'm lost :-\ Can somebody help me? How can I unsubscribe a given
user from a couple of mailing lists at the same time without having to
go through the clumsy web interface for each of the mailing lists?

Your help is greatly appreciated - thank you very much!

Kind regards,
Rafael