[Mailman-Users] Ubuntu release of Mailman

David dave at fiteyes.com
Sat May 12 03:26:16 CEST 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-mailman at fmp.com>wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 12:30 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> > They don't eliminate the Mailman user. They just call it 'list' rather
> > than 'mailman'.
>
> Actually, it's barely the same thing.  It appears that qrunner gets run
> as user 'list' out of the mailman init script, but all other Mailman
> components are owned by root, group list, albeit all the executables
> have group execute enabled.

run /usr/lib/mailman/bin/check_perms

the -f option will fix all those permissions. It will remove root as owner
on all Mailman files. Mailman will still run just find on Ubuntu with the
proper permissions set by this script. I'm told this isn't limited to
Ubuntu, but that many other distros need to have the check_perms script run
after any new install or upgrades.

You may have to run the script more than once. If you want to fix the perms
on the symlinks, you'll have to fix those manually with the "- h" option on
chgrp. When you finish, check_perms will return no errors, you'll have all
the permissions you want, and Mailman will run fine. I just went through
all this. See the list archives for a whole thread with my questions on
this topic. Everything is resolved now. I'm on Ubuntu 12.04.