[Mailman-Users] Ubuntu release of Mailman

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Fri May 11 21:37:20 CEST 2012

On May 11, 2012, at 02:15 PM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:

>I just installed, and just as promptly un-installed mailman on Ubuntu
>server 10.04.4 LTS.  The offered pacakge version of mailman for this
>release, which I used, is 2.1.13-1.
>
>I have a few questions which perhaps someone could answer, if anyone
>knows the thinking behind Canonical's (and the package maintainer's)
>motives/reasons for what was done.

Unfortunately I can't provide any insight into the rationale, since (perhaps
ironically ;) I don't participate in the maintenance of the Mailman package.
I would just like to point out a few things that might be useful:

 - Canonical, or for that matter Ubuntu, isn't responsible for this change,
   since it comes straight from Debian.  AFAICT, we carry no Ubuntu-specific
   deltas to the Debian package. I.e. it's a straight sync from Debian in
   Precise (12.04 LTS).  AFAICT, Lucid (10.04.4 LTS) carries a couple of
   additional security updates, but this doesn't seem like the kind of change
   that would be made in a security update.

 - Probably the best way to get authoritative answers is to contact the Debian
   Mailman packaging team:

   pkg-mailman-hackers at lists.alioth.debian.org

   I don't know whether anyone from that team is on this list, or
   mailman-developers.

Cheers,
-Barry