[Mailman-Users] Ubuntu release of Mailman

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri May 11 21:30:21 CEST 2012

Lindsay Haisley wrote:

>I just installed, and just as promptly un-installed mailman on Ubuntu
>server 10.04.4 LTS.  The offered pacakge version of mailman for this
>release, which I used, is 2.1.13-1.

The Ubuntu packages are based on Debian.

>I have a few questions which perhaps someone could answer, if anyone
>knows the thinking behind Canonical's (and the package maintainer's)
>motives/reasons for what was done.
>
>The most awkward change, for me, is the elimination altogether of the
>mailman user.  Mailman native scripts and utilities apparently get run
>as root, which as always brings up a whole kettle of security questions.

They don't eliminate the Mailman user. They just call it 'list' rather
than 'mailman'.

>On top of that, I've written a script package to parse and automatically
>unsubscribe list subscribers based on AOL's "Email feedback reports" for
>all the lists I host, using, among other things, mailman's python
>library and the withlist utility.  These scripts depend on the existence
>of a non-privileged Mailman user account with a home dir
>of /usr/lib/mailman.

I think 'list' satisfies this.

Ask Debian and see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/OIDD>.

>It looks as if I'm going to have to install mailman from source on
>Ubuntu.  I believe the Gentoo download, installed on my older servers,
>hewed much more closely to the methods and design of the Mailman devs,
>but I'm wondering what I'm missing here, or if the change was just due
>to lazy package design on Canonical's part.

Don't blame Canonical for Debian's decisions.

Personally, I would always install from source on Debian/Ubuntu. Even
though I run Ubuntu on some of my machines, I am not a fan of "The
Debian Way".