[Mailman-Users] Giving away the secrets of 99.3% email delivery

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Fri May 11 10:10:36 CEST 2012

On Fri, 11 May 2012, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> On the other hand we're getting spam reports for list mails (not
> spam!) our users sent to a list. But since it's not spam we cannot
> actually do anything about those mails while the LIST ADMIN could
> easily unsubscribe the people reporting the spam.

Except the list admin may not know about this.  Some people are just too
lazy to unsubscribe from a list they double-opted into and report the mail
as spam.

I had a situation where the organisation I was working for was having all
mail sent from its server being completely blocked by a large American
ISP, all on the back of one person's spam reports.  They wouldn't even
tell us what the address was.  Fortunately I was able to figure out the
address and the list from the headers of a message and remove the person
in question.  I'm not sure that I'dve been able to do this with a Mailman
message, they were using inferior (IMHO) list software then.

The only way we could avoid this happening again was to subscribe to their
feedback loop.  Then we would receive the spam reports instead of them
being immediately acted upon, under the understanding that we would act on
them instead.

Of course, everyone has their own feedback loop, and if you care about
getting mail through to big providers, you'll probably need to subscribe
to all their feedback loops.

A good page with info on this and other issues is
http://www.spamhaus.org/faq/section/ISP%20Spam%20Issues

HTH,
Geoff.