[Mailman-Users] SPF MAIL FROM check failed: [MAIL_FROM]

David dave at fiteyes.com
Thu May 10 02:32:37 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 4:01 PM, David <dave at fiteyes.com> wrote:
> Re: Giving away the secrets of 99.3% email delivery
>
> 1. Constantly monitor spam blacklists. We have a set of Nagios alerts
that regularly check if we’re listed on any delivery blacklists, and
whenever they go off we take whatever corrective action we need to get back
off the blacklist.
> 2. Have valid SPF records. Don’t impersonate your users. When running a
web app like Basecamp, which sends email that are generated by another
user, it can be tempting to send the email from that user (e.g., so that a
comment I wrote on Basecamp would appear to come from noah at 37signals dot
com), which might make people feel more comfortable. Unfortunately, this is
a surefire way to end up on spam lists, since you’ll likely be sending from
an IP address that does not have the valid SPF records. And chances are, if
the user’s domain does have an SPF record, it doesn’t include your
application’s IP.
> 3. Sign the mail! DKIM and Domain Keys. Yahoo and Gmail both score signed
email higher.
> 4. Dedicated and conditioned email sending IPs.
> 5. Configure reverse dns entries. Most of the “big boys” won’t accept
mail from your servers if your reverse dns entries don’t match. You might
need your IP provider to help with setting up these records.
> 6. Enroll in feedback loops. We haven’t automated our parsing of
feedback, but a daily / weekly review of feedback loop emails helps us know
when there’s an unhappy user, or other problem. Too many complaints and
you’ve got trouble.

I started by setting up an SPF record (#2 on the list above). However,
shortly after setting it up, we got a bounce with this reason:

SPF MAIL FROM check failed:  [MAIL_FROM]

I searched a bit and came across things like this:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.new-zealand.general/34245
But nothing I found answered my questions.

Looking at the headers of the bounced message, I note:

Received-SPF: pass (domain of lists.example.com designates 10.10.10.99 as
permitted sender)

That would seem to indicate things are OK, but maybe X-Originating-IP isn't
the line I need to be looking at... I'm not sure what [MAIL_FROM] (in the
SPF check failed line) matches in the email header.

Also, I note:

And there is another value for this field.

These are the headers of the bounced message:

Subject: Failure Notice
Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<recipient at destination.com.br>:
Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 SPF MAIL FROM check failed:  [MAIL_FROM]

From: "Member One" <member1 at domain.net>
To: "'Example Discussion'" <list at lists.example.com>