[Mailman-Users] Problem creating mailing lists via web interface in2.1.11

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Mar 28 18:52:54 CEST 2012

Steve Matzura wrote:

>It works just fine if I log in as root and use newlist, but if I try
>to create a new list via the web admin interface, two things happen.
>First, I get an error, whose text I do not have in front of me (I
>know, I know, first rule of error reporting, report the exact error,
>but you probably won't need it when I finish my explanation),

Wrong.

>and
>second, the aliases file is not updated, so if a subscriber tries to
>send a message to the list, they receive an auto-reply telling them
>"user unknown in virtual mailbox table". My question is, why doesn't
>the web interface create new list feature update the aliases file? Is
>this a bug or a feature, or is there something I should put into
>mm_cfg.py to enable this, similar to
>owners-may-delete-their-own-lists?

If bin/newlist updates the aliases, web create should too, so clearly
this has something to do with the error.

If the list is created and the only problem is that aliases aren't
updated, it could be a permissions issue. Is Mailman's cgi-bin/create
wrapper group 'mailman' and SETGID and does group 'mailman' have write
permission on the aliases?

What is the error?