[Mailman-Users] Problem creating mailing lists via web interface in 2.1.11

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Mar 28 18:52:45 CEST 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Steve Matzura <smtgv at noisynotes.com> wrote:

> "user unknown in virtual mailbox table". My question is, why doesn't
> the web interface create new list feature update the aliases file?

What aliases file?  Exim, for example, doesn't need one at all.  There
are many MTAs, there are many different ways to configure them to
deliver to lists.

> Is this a bug or a feature,

It's a missing feature in your MTA. :-)  As I wrote, there are MTAs
that can be configured to automatically deliver to mailing lists (eg,
Exim is told to look for a $LIST.cfg file, and if that is found, it
delivers to "| mailman post $LIST" or something like that).

> or is there something I should put into
> mm_cfg.py to enable this, similar to
> owners-may-delete-their-own-lists?

We likely can help you, but you'll need to tell us exactly what MTA
you use, and how it's currently configured.  If you are using a
OS-distro-provided Mailman, tell us what distro and the full version
number of the Mailman package.  If you built from source, tell us
that.