[Mailman-Users] MAIL FROM envelope header query.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 17 05:23:13 CET 2012

John Fitzsimons wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 19:58:25 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>>I'm talking about the Gmane address that is subscribed to your list,
>>not some address that happened to be in the From: header of the
>>particular message.
>
>Ah ! Gmane's subscription address ? If I put the mod flag on that then
>every poster would effectively be "moderated" wouldn't they ?
>
>Though your next paragraph suggests that that wouldn't happen.

Given what you've said about your list configuration, if you set the
mod flag on the Gmane subscription address and not on your actual list
members you should see that posts via Gmane From: a list member will
go directly to the list but posts via Gmane from a non-list-member
will be held for moderation.

This is because, at least in a default Mailman installation, we look
first at the From: header in deciding if the post is from a member and
next at the envelope sender.

In the case of a member post via Gmane, the From: will have a member
address and we will see this as a post from that (unmoderated) member.
In the case of a non-member post via Gmane, the From: address will not
be a member so we look at the envelope sender which is a member and
which now is moderated so the post is held for moderation.

>>What you need to do is go to the web admin Membership List pages for
>>your list and find the Gmane address that is a member of your list and
>>make sure its "mod" box is checked. That way, any "non-member" posts
>>from Gmane, regardless of who they are From: should be held for
>>moderation and you can accept them or not as you see fit.
>
>Okay, so I put the Gmane subscription address as "mod" ?

I think that will accomplish what you want. Note that if the only "mod"
address is the Gmane address, you can if you wish set Privacy
options... -> Sender filters -> member_moderation_action to Reject and
set member_moderation_notice to something like "Posting to this email
list via Gmane is restricted to members of the list." The downside of
doing this is "backscatter". I.e. if a spammer posts to your list via
Gmane, the From: header probably contains the address of an innocent
third party so you don't really want to reject the spam back to the
innocent person who knows nothing about it. I would be more inclined
to set member_moderation_action to either Hold or Discard, and if
Hold, to Discard held messages that I didn't want to accept unless
they clearly weren't spam.

>>You said in your original post that your list was "moderated". What
>>does that mean to you?
>
>It means that people not on my mailing list should not be able to have
>emails go to the mailing list or the Gmane newsgroup.

Aaahh..  To me, that is a "closed" list whereas a "moderated" list is
one where all posts require approval by a moderator.