[Mailman-Users] MAIL FROM envelope header query.

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Sat Mar 17 01:29:09 CET 2012

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 19:18:53 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>John Fitzsimons wrote:

Hi Mark, thank you for your speedy/detailed reply.   :-)

>>"When Gmane sends messages (posted through the news-to-mail gateway)
>>the mailing lists, it uses the subscribed email address as the MAIL
>>FROM
>>envelope header.  If your mailing list software discriminates based
>>on
>>the MAIL FROM instead of the From: header (the latter is more usual),
>>then you may see stuff like that..."

>They are telling you that there is a Gmane address which is a member of
>your list that is how gmane receives messages posted to your list.

Well, I know that that is how it is meant to work BUT the post I asked
about shows a "from" address like someone at tormail.net . My mailing
list doesn't have anyone with that address on it.

>When someone posts to your list on Gmane, Gmane sends that post to
>your list with the envelope sender (SMTP MAIL FROM address) equal to
>the Gmane address that's a member of your list.

That doesn't appear to be happening.

>Mailman in turn checks every address found in any of the places listed
>in the Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py setting SENDER_HEADERS, and if any of
>these is a list member, the is considered to be from first member
>address found.

Well, I don't know how it can find an address that doesn't appear to
be there.  :-(

>It is not clear to me whether this post was held as a post from a
>moderated member or just went to the list.

He/she doesn't appear to be a member at all.

>If it just went to the list
>and you want it to be held, just set the mod flag on the subscribed
>Gmane address and it will be held as a post from a moderated member.

It doesn't appear to be a subscribed address.

>If, on the other hand, you want it treated as a non-member post, you
>have to override SENDER_HEADERS in mm_cfg.py. The default setting is

>SENDER_HEADERS = ('from', None, 'reply-to', 'sender')

>which says places checked in order are the From: header, the envelope
>sender, the Reply-To: header and the Sender: header. The None entry in
>the above list refers to the envelope sender. If you just want to stop
>considering the envelope sender and keep all the others, you would set

>SENDER_HEADERS = ('from', 'reply-to', 'sender')

>in mm_cfg.py. If you wanted to consider only the From: header, you
>could set

>SENDER_HEADERS = ('from', )

>in mm_cfg.py (the comma and parens are significant here).

>Note that this is a global setting and affects all lists in the
>installation.

The problem is that this is on a hosted site so I cannot change the
main Mailman files.

IF I understand things correctly you/Gmane seem to be saying that
somewhere in the envelope header is the address of someone on my list.
Not necessarily in the 'from', 'reply-to', 'sender' areas.

Is that correct ?

In any case what does "envelope header" mean ? Does it mean in the
sender's header in areas other than 'from', 'reply-to', 'sender' ?

In any case it looks like changing things in the SENDER_HEADERS in
mm_cfg.py will enable me to better restrict posters to those on my
"registered" posters list and/or make it so that posters have to put
their "approved" address in eg. the 'from', 'reply-to', 'sender'
slots, so to speak.

So can I make this change via my GUI in Windows XP ?

If you/anyone else here can give me an answer to this question, and
give me a "step by step" as to how to change things via windows, it
will be appreciated.

Regards, John.