[Mailman-Users] MAIL FROM envelope header query.

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Sat Mar 10 02:06:21 CET 2012

Hi,

I have a Mailman 2.1.14 *moderated* list that goes to Gmane for
newsgroup access. The other day a post was made from someone who
didn't appear to be on my list.

I wasn't sure whether this was due to an error at my end, or at
Gmane's. So I queried them. The problem however is that I didn't
understand their reply .... but more importantly....how to fix things
so it doesn't happen again !

Can someone here read the following and tell me if/how I can put a
stop to people not on my mailing list, posting please ?

"When Gmane sends messages (posted through the news-to-mail gateway)
the mailing lists, it uses the subscribed email address as the MAIL
FROM
envelope header.  If your mailing list software discriminates based
on
the MAIL FROM instead of the From: header (the latter is more usual),
then you may see stuff like that..."

I have been using Mailman for a time, but still consider myself a
"newbie",
so any help on this would be appreciated.

Regards, John.