[Mailman-Users] AOL redacts user addresses even with VERP and full personalization enabled

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Wed Jun 20 05:58:50 CEST 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 21:07 -0400, Dave (FitEyes) wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-mailman at fmp.com> wrote:
>         On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 20:42 -0400, Dave (FitEyes) wrote:
>         > It now seems pretty clear that we can use these reports in the way
>         > Lindsay and others have proposed.
>
>         Well if this is so, are they still redacting the VERP
>         recipient
>         addresses?
>
> Yes.

Reading in <http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.FeedbackLoop.php+> it
seems that "[AOL suggests] using opaque identifiers for the email
recipient or a custom remove link in the body of the email to help you
identify the original recipient of the message."

I would assume that an AES-encrypted email address in Resent-Message-ID
or in the VERP address, or even a hashed recipient address in a custom
header such as X-Subdata, all of which have been discussed here, would
meet the criterion of being an "opaque identifier".  Does this sound
logical?

Of these, an encrypted or hashed recip address in the VERP envelope
header seems the most logical, since it seems that we don't have to go
"stealth" with this one.  Any chance of requesting this in Mailman 3?

Looking at a recent Email Feedback Report it looks as if the list name
is also pretty well redacted, except in the message footer, the format
of which is up to individual list administrators, so maybe the list name
or address should be included in this or another encrypted header as
well.

--
Lindsay Haisley       |  "The voice of dissent was arrested before
FMP Computer Services |     the president cleared his throat to