[Mailman-Users] cgi/create and local use - trouble...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 20 04:39:35 CEST 2012

gene wrote:

>I have a lan with several machines on it. I've installed MM 2.1.14 on the
>unix host 'genesis' which also runs my apache server. In order to browse to
>genesis' web server from within the lan, I have to use something like:
>Using the fqdn (genesis.domain.net or domain.net) just times out.

Why? This would seem to be a network configuration issue, and fixing it
would semm to be the "correct" solution to your problem.

Possibly an entry in /etc/hosts like

ip.of.mm.host  genesis.domain.net

or even

127.0.0.1  genesis.domain.net

at least on the MM machine would be enough.

>So when I tried to use cgi/create (web) to create a list, I got:
>"Unknown virtual domain: genesis"
>
>So in mm_cfg.py I put the following:
>
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'genesis.domain.net'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'genesis.domain.net'
>
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)

The above are correct.

>add_virtualhost('genesis.domain.net')

The above line effectively replaces

with

add_virtualhost('genesis.domain.net', 'domain.net')

which is probably not correct if DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST =
'genesis.domain.net' is what you want, so should be removed.

>add_virtualhost('genesis')
>
>That solved the virtual host problem, but now, when using cgi/create to
>create the list "test" I get:
>
>'Illegal list name: test@'       < note no domain name

Because

add_virtualhost('genesis')

is equivalent to

add_virtualhost('genesis', '')

which is clearly not what you want.

If add_virtualhost is given only one argument (web host) the
corresponding email host is created by stripping everythig through the
first '.' from the argument.

>So I tried creating test with the fqdn and was told that the '@' was not
>allowed in the list name (makes sense). I was able to create the list using
>bin/newlist, bur it seems the newlist creates lists as private, not public,
>lists.

What do you mean by private vs public? There should be no difference
except possibly for the web and email hostnames.

>So...  does anyone know how this script can be used locally as well as from
>outside the lan?

Use only the fully qualified domain name and fix your network so it
works from inside the LAN.