[Mailman-Users] more questions about Yahoo feedback loop and abuse complaints

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Jun 17 04:19:46 CEST 2012

On Jun 16, 2012, at 3:20 PM, David wrote:

> Thanks, but I'm not sure how to do that. The message ID we get from AOL is
> something like "snt0-p5-eas297E02BC8F051EF1AAB0BFD3FA0 at phx.gbl" and it is
> related to the sender. This same ID will show up in the postfix log for
> every outgoing copy of that message from that sender.
>
> Could you explain how you trace from the message ID to your Postfix logs?
> (Maybe you use a different message ID?)

When you enable Full Personalization on Mailman, it will generate a unique message for each and every recipient, with a unique message-id.  If that message-id is not obscured by the Feedback Loop, then you can tell which user is at fault.  For a while, they did not redact the footers that were included in the message sent back, so you could personalize the footers and that would give you an alternate place to look.

I was the first Internet Mail Operations person ever hired by AOL and I was responsible for implementing the anti-spam measures that we had in place to prevent spam from getting onto the system, but regretfully the group that handles spam reports from AOL users is done by a different department.  Back when David O'Donnell was running that shop, they did a really good job.  But things have gone way down hill ever since.

I have long since gone past the point where I consider them to be a complete write-off, despite the fact that even my own wife still uses AOL.