[Mailman-Users] /bin/sh: mailman: command not found

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jun 9 02:34:15 CEST 2012

Dennis Putnam wrote:

>I am getting a daily message with the subject: Cron
><mailman at dap002> mailman /usr/lib/mailman
>
>The message simply says:
>
>/bin/sh: mailman: command not found

Post the contents of /var/spool/cron/mailman and /etc/cron.d/mailman if
they exist.

>Since there is no path for the mailman commands in crontab.in (a distro
>bug?), I assume I am supposed to add it myself.

No. I can't tell you what you need to do until I see the above
requested crontabs, but editing crontab.in does nothing unless you
subsequently install it.

>Am I correct that it
>really wants /usr/lib/mailman/scripts/mailman

No. That script is just a sample /etc/init.d/mailman script which is
the script to process "service mailman" commands, but it shouldn't be
run by cron.

>or is there some other
>executable somewhere named 'mailman' that I should use?

cron should not be attempting daily to run any script named mailman.