[Mailman-Users] list suddenly stopped working

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jun 8 23:10:30 CEST 2012

Christian Stalberg wrote:

>   I host several lists. One of them suddenly stopped working. In poking
>   around I see that the ownership had changed from mailman to apache
>
>   [root at zarathustra mailman]# ls -la /var/lib/mailman/lists/listdude
>   total 56
>   drwxrwsr-x.  2 root    mailman  4096 Jun  8 07:41 .
>   drwxrwsr-x. 18 root    mailman  4096 Feb 19 19:21 ..
>   -rw-rw----.  1 apache  mailman 18639 Jun  8 07:41 config.pck
>   -rw-rw----.  1 apache  mailman 18639 Jun  8 07:41 config.pck.last
>   -rw-rw----.  1 mailman mailman   132 May 14 14:26 pending.pck
>   -rw-rw-r--.  1 apache  mailman    20 Jun  8 07:41 request.pck
>
>   first of all, how could this occur?

It occurred because the config.pck was updated on Jun  8 at 07:41 by
the web server, most likely the admin or admindb web GUI, but possibly
a user's options page or ???

> secondly, I changed the ownership
>   back to mailman but the list still does not work.

That's because the owner of these files is irrelevant. It's the
'mailman' group that counts as all the qrunners and web CGIs run as
group 'mailman'.

> what should I do next
>   please?

Since it's only one list, see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/noA9>
and if that doesn't help, see <http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9>.

If you are still stuck after that, try to report more information such
as what's in logs, can you access the list's web pages and so on.