[Mailman-Users] Now my postfix has moved from mailman server

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 4 18:58:52 CET 2012

On 1/3/2012 9:43 PM, J. Bakshi wrote:
> Hello list,
>

> I had been running mailman and postfix on the same server. I had to add the following into main.cf to
> integrate mailman into postfix
>
> `````````````````
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
> recipient_delimiter = +
> mailman_destination_recipient_limit = 1
> ```````````````````
>
> and the mm_cfg.py is as below
>

> `````````````````
> DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'
> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'list.mydomain.com'
> DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'list.mydomain.com'
> MTA = 'Postfix'
> POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias'
> POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postmap'
> DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
> SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
> SMTPPORT = '25'
> add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['list.xxxxx.com']
> IMAGE_LOGOS = '/mailmanicons/'
> ```````````````````````
>
> Now the mailserver has physically been moved to a different server. How can I inform mailman about my physically
> moved postfix ? Should I just add the email domain (which this server once had) at the relay_domain section of the postfix
> running on this very server?

If Postfix continues to run on the Mailman server, make no changes to
this Postfix or to Mailman.

If I understand correctly, the issue is that incoming list mail is now
routed (via a DNS MX record) to a different server. What to do depends
on a few things. Is list.mydomain.com a dedicated domain such that all
mail to that domain should be delivered to the Mailman server? Is the
Mailman server accessible from the outside world?

If both answers are yes, just make the MX record for list.mydomain.com
point to the Mailman server.

If the domain is dedicated, but the server is not accessible from
outside, use a transport_maps entry on the mail server to relay all mail
to the list.mydomain.com domain to the mailman server.

If both answers are no, you will need to tell the mail server to relay
all the list addresses to the Mailman server via transport_maps on the
mail server. The FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/ZoCj> may help you with
generating the transport maps on the Mailman server, but they will still
have to be updated on the mail server whenever lists are added or
deleted on the Mailman server.