[Mailman-Users] UsingMailman fortask management

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Feb 5 20:59:53 CET 2012

Sundaram Ramachandran wrote:

>Suppose I create a list, titled todo-$name
>
>Any new post to this list would get assigned a Task id at the beginning of the subject; for ex:
>
>Subject: [ToDo-$name] [Task 1] Install and Test Mailman [Created]
>
>Now when anybody replies to this post, it gets filed under this 'thread'. The initial status is [Created]
>
>I could have status such as [Assigned],[In Progress] and [Completed].
>
>Later I should be able to sort the entire List per status, etc.
>
>Can this be done using Mailman in its present  form? Or should I post this in Developers site  to get help?

This can be done in Mailman 2.1.x with a custom handler. See the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/l4A9> for information on custom handlers. Your
handler would need to maintain persistent data about tasks and their
statuses, and you might need to develop some kind of application,
perhaps even a shell script with 'grep', 'sort', etc. to process the
Subject: headers from the archive .mbox or something using your task
data, to produce your reports.