[Mailman-Users] How to properly nest a response from Gmail

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Dec 23 19:16:14 CET 2012

BA lanfest wrote:

>I am a new member of a Mailman list.  This feels like a stupid question,
>but the other day I tried to respond to a message, and it did not nest
>properly.  It nested at the same level as the post I was responding to,
>rather than under it (and this was not a case of nesting limit, as other
>message did nest at the depth I desired).

I assume by "nesting" you are referring to what I call "threading".

>I checked the "In-Reply-To"
>header on my sent mail and sure enough it as replying to the Message-ID of
>the email I wanted to nest under.  And yet it did not.  Any ideas?

Are you talking about the threaded view in the Mailman archives of the
list, or the "conversation" view in your own gmail folders?

If gmail, see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/2IA9> and see
<http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=5900> which
may be relevant.

If Mailman's archives, there are various possibilities. One scenario
is, e.g., you post, someone replies to you with Cc: to the list, you
reply to the reply you receive directly and timing is such that your
reply reaches the list before the first reply, your reply does not get
threaded as a child of the first reply because the first reply wasn't
there when your reply got threaded.

Another possibility is a reply get's sent to you and then resent to the
list as a separate message. If you reply to the copy sent to you, your
reply is not a reply to the message in the list archive so it isn't
threaded as such.

Also, some Debian/Ubuntu Mailman packages contained a bad patch that
caused messages with hyphens in their Message-Id: to be indented too
much in the threaded archive index. This was never an issue with the
source distribution, and the issue that the Debian patch was
addressing was fixed in the source distribution as of Mailman 2.1.13.