[Mailman-Users] Mailman needs 20 seconds to complete per email

Karsten Becker karsten.becker at ecologic.eu
Tue Dec 4 16:50:23 CET 2012

On 12/04/2012 03:15 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
>> Postfix presents it's banner 20 seconds after the connection has been
>> established.
>>
>> Things to try:
>>
>> * disable chroot for THAT smtpd on port 10030
>> * check that you have enough instances of that particular smtpd
>>   (otherwise mailman must wait until one is available)
>> * check the restrictions for that particular smtpd
>
> * try connecting manually!

No, chroot, default number of processes (= 100, far away from that), no
restrictions...

> 127.0.0.1:10030 inet    n       -       -       -       -       smtpd
>         -o smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts=127.0.0.0/8
>         -o content_filter=
>         -o local_recipient_maps=
>         -o relay_recipient_maps=
>         -o disable_dns_lookups=yes
>         -o smtpd_restriction_classes=
>         -o smtpd_delay_reject=no
>         -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_mynetworks,reject
>         -o smtpd_helo_restrictions=
>         -o smtpd_sender_restrictions=
>         -o smtpd_recipient_restrictions=permit_mynetworks,reject
>         -o smtpd_data_restrictions=reject_unauth_pipelining
>         -o smtpd_end_of_data_restrictions=
>         -o mynetworks=127.0.0.0/8
>         -o smtpd_error_sleep_time=0
>         -o smtpd_soft_error_limit=1001
>         -o smtpd_hard_error_limit=1000
>         -o smtpd_client_connection_count_limit=0
>         -o smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit=0
>         -o
receive_override_options=no_header_body_checks,no_unknown_recipient_checks

But... damned - I got it:

> root at mail01.foodmz.local:/var/log/mailman# telnet localhost 10030
> Trying ::1...
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 mail01.foodmz.local ESMTP Foo ready

The machine is IPv6 capable, but Postfix is listening to IPv4. As
Mailman is configured in mm_cfg.py to use "localhost" for injecting
back, it gets back "::1" first, tries to connect for 20s, and then falls
back to IPv4, which then succeeds.

So I simply added in my /etc/hosts an entry called localhost-ipv4 for
127.0.0.1 and took that for SMTPHOST in mm_cfg.py.

And, what should I say... like a rocket!

Thanks a lot to all of you for assisting me!!!!

Regards from Berlin/Germany
Karsten