[Mailman-Users] Postfix and virtual user ( relay dovecot -> user unknown )

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Aug 29 02:58:03 CEST 2012

On 8/28/2012 1:40 AM, Thufir wrote:

> I seem to still have problems with postfix:

Please do not hijack other user's threads for unrelated posts.

> root at dur:~#
> root at dur:~# cat /etc/postfix/transport
> root at dur:~#
> root at dur:~# nano /etc/postfix/transport
> root at dur:~#
> root at dur:~# cat /etc/postfix/transport
> lists.dur.bounceme.net      mailman:

How is the 'mailman' transport defined in master.cf? Undoubtedly it is
the "officially not supported by the GNU Mailman project", 3rd party
postfix_to_mailman.py.

If so, please see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/OIDD>.

I will help with postfix_to_mailman.py to the extent that I can, but it
frankly annoys me greatly that Debian/Ubuntu encourages its use, but
distributes a package which confuses users into trying to combine
postfix_to_mailman.py and aliases without apparently having adequate
documentation or support.

[...]
> root at dur:~# postconf -n
> alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
[...]
> Whoops, I think I asked this question in the wrong list!  Any help still
> appreciated, of course.  I'm going to ask this on the postfix mailing
> list, which was my intent; pardon about that.

They won't have a clue about postfix_to_mailman.py. Try Ubuntu's Mailman
support if there is any or maybe Debian, But first learn the differences
between postfix_to_mailman.py delivery and delivery to Mailman via
aliases, and decide which you want to use and use only one method.

And in case you haven't guessed, if you want help from this list, we can
much better help you if you do it this way
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-integration.html>.