[Mailman-Users] Error: You are not authorized to create new mailinglists

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 06:11:40 CEST 2012

On 08/27/2012 09:02 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
[...]
> bin/mmsitepass --help

Well, don't I feel silly.  I knew about that but didn't use it because I
figured it was something else.  Pardon about that.

I get:

Error: Illegal list name: comp.lang.java.help.3 at localhost

from the web interface (I only typed in the part before @localhost)

although the CLI seems to handle it fine:

root at dur:~#
root at dur:~# /usr/sbin/list_lists
3 matching mailing lists found:
          Comp.lang.java - [no description available]
     Comp.lang.java.help - [no description available]
                 Mailman - [no description available]
root at dur:~#

I wonder where mailman is picking up the @localhost, because mm_cfg.py
should only use the FQDN:

root at dur:~#
root at dur:~# grep dur /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'dur.bounceme.net'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'dur.bounceme.net'
root at dur:~#

-Thufir