[Mailman-Users] Error: You are not authorized to create new mailing lists

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 05:49:06 CEST 2012

While I can browse to

and see that there's such a list, I cannot create list from

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mailman/admin

which returns

Error: You are not authorized to create new mailing lists

whenever I try to create a list.  However, it does work from the CLI:

root at dur:~#
root at dur:~# newlist comp.lang.java.help
Enter the email of the person running the list: hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Initial comp.lang.java.help password:
To finish creating your mailing list, you must edit your /etc/aliases (or
equivalent) file by adding the following lines, and possibly running the
`newaliases' program:

## comp.lang.java.help mailing list
comp.lang.java.help:              "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post
comp.lang.java.help"
comp.lang.java.help-admin:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin
comp.lang.java.help"
comp.lang.java.help-bounces:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman
bounces comp.lang.java.help"
comp.lang.java.help-confirm:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman
confirm comp.lang.java.help"
comp.lang.java.help-join:         "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join
comp.lang.java.help"
comp.lang.java.help-leave:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave
comp.lang.java.help"
comp.lang.java.help-owner:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner
comp.lang.java.help"
comp.lang.java.help-request:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman
request comp.lang.java.help"
comp.lang.java.help-subscribe:    "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman
subscribe comp.lang.java.help"
comp.lang.java.help-unsubscribe:  "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman
unsubscribe comp.lang.java.help"

Hit enter to notify comp.lang.java.help owner...

root at dur:~#

why won't the web interface accept the same password?  Or, is it that
the web interface itself, perhaps, isn't authorized.  What's not
authorized, the password I provided (which works from the CLI) or
something about how the web interface is setup?

thanks,

Thufir