[Mailman-Users] Mailman: Recipient address rejected: User unknownin local recipient table

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Aug 22 16:38:09 CEST 2012

Futchko, Rose wrote:

>But now I am seeing the following error in my /var/log/maillog "NOQUEUE:
>reject: RCPT from unknown[]: 550 5.1.1 <external IP Address>: Recipient
>address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table; from=<d> to=<>
>proto=ESMTP helo=<[]>"

If "from=<d> to=<>" are literally what is in the log message, this is a
message with envelope from 'd' and to ''. I'm not sure how this could
occur (possibly a broken spambot), but it doesn't seem to have
anything to do with Mailman or any message to a Mailman list.

[...]
>Can someone please counsel as to how to correct this error?

Tell the admins of the server at 'external IP Address' to quit engaging
in bogus SMTP dialogs with your server or block the IP address with
iptables or another firewall.

Do you actually have a problem with Mailman and posts to Mailman lists?
If so, what are the details of that problem?