[Mailman-Users] Administratively subscribe other users via email

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Aug 21 07:28:22 CEST 2012

On 8/13/2012 4:59 PM, Nick Bright wrote:

> The easiest way to do this would be to have my billing system send an
> email to mailman to subscribe the user.
>
> However, I have as of yet been unable to locate any information on how
> to do so.
>
> I've tried using the "Approved:" header with a subscribe command in the
> mail body, following the subscribe command syntax at
> http://www.list.org/mailman-member/node41.html, but the response back
> from mailman is that the commands remain unprocessed.

The Approved: header is ignored in this context. What remains
unprocessed? If it is the subscribe command, there is something wrong
with that command. If it is lines following the subscribe command, I
suspect the command was processed and a confirmation was send to the
address= address and the subscription is waiting confirmation from the user.

> What is the correct syntax for doing this?

That described at <http://www.list.org/mailman-member/node41.html>.

However, that probably won't work for you because the Approved: header
is ignored and the list's subscribe_policy is applied to the request.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/uIA9> for pointers to other ways
to do what you want.