[Mailman-Users] Mailman Problems under OSX Lion

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Aug 21 05:21:50 CEST 2012

On Aug 20, 2012, at 9:03 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

>> Which is probably why they are so very violently opposed to having
>> any GPL-encumbered code anywhere in the company.
>
> GCC?  gdb?  binutils?  Make?  CUPS?  Mailman?  And that's just the
> applications I know of in the Mac OS X distribution itself; I'm sure
> there are plenty of developers who use Emacs and other GNU tools in
> preference to the Mac-supplied tools at Apple.

Gcc & gdb are gone -- replaced by llvm.  I believe that CUPS is also gone, but I may be wrong.

And if another commenter on this thread is correct (I have not yet checked the Mountain Lion Server image that I have), then Mailman is also gone.

And I can most definitely confirm that Apple is actively eliminating any use of GPL-based technologies or tools within the company.

They even eliminated X out-of-the-box, although you can still download it from an alternative site.  Of course, you could claim that was a disk space issue, but then they're no longer shipping the OS on physical media.