[Mailman-Users] mailman subscriptions broke after 2 days

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Apr 28 17:47:45 CEST 2012

Hank Montgomery wrote:

>Suspecting user error, I tested for myself using a new email address and
>found that no approval requests were being sent to the 2 admins or the 3
>moderators -- but there was a pending subscription request in the queue.

The fact that there was no pending request from the original user
indicates some additional issue (user error?) with that request.

Is General Options -> admin_immed_notify set to Yes? This is what
controls the sending of the immediate notice.

In any case, you should get a daily summary "nn moderator requests"
email. These are sent daily at 8:00 a.m. local time unless the
installation has modified that.

What happens if you send an email to LISTNAME-owner at ... If that is
received, it will verify that Mailman can send to the list
owners/moderators and narrow the problem somewhat.

The remaining possibility after checking all the above is most likely
that VirginRunner is not running. This is something that needs to be
investigated/corrected by the host, although if you can do a 'ps' on
the server, you could tell if it's running (see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9>).

>I have tried every option I can find that is remotely related but
>nothing seems to get the notices out to the administrators or
>moderators. I even deleted their subscriptions and subscribed them
>again. I searched the archives and the FAQ but found nothing related.

The owner/moderator subscriptions have nothin to do with this. The
notice should be sent to all the addresses in the owner and moderator
list settings without regard to whether they are even list members.

>Can anyone tell me what to try?

Contact your hosting service?

>If I can find an answer I would like to try resetting all options to the
>original defaults -- but I can't find a way to do that either.

If you have access to command line tools, you could create a new list
and output its settings with bin/config_list -o and compare those to
this list's to see what to change.