[Mailman-Users] options to change URL structure?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 27 01:31:19 CEST 2012

On 4/26/2012 3:41 PM, David wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
>
>     On 4/26/2012 1:39 PM, David wrote:
>     >
>     > In a standard Mailman implementation, we see URLs similar to this:
>     > http://server.example.com/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ourlist/
>

>     Actually, in a standad source install of Mailman, you won't have the
>     cgi-bin/ directory in the path. That's from a 3rd party package or
>     someone who went out of the way to do that.
>

> The mailman package in Ubuntu does it this way by default.

As I said, a 3rd party package - "the Debian way".

> # cat Defaults.py | grep _URL_
> DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'cloud.example.com'
> DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'
> add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>
> # cat Defaults.py | grep _EMAIL_
> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'cloud.example.com'
> add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>

> mm_cfg.py is empty except for the personalization options I set:
> OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION=1
> VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES=1
>
> Based on this, my guess is that I will revise this line as so:
>
> DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/'
>
> Is there anything else I need to change?

Yes. You Probably have in the apache config

ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cgi-bin/"

You could change that to

ScriptAlias / "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cgi-bin/"

But that would probably preclude anything but Mailman CGIs being
accessed on your server. I'm not sure of this and I'm not an apache expert.

I would probably add several lines of the form

ScriptAlias /xxx "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cgi-bin/xxx"

where xxcx is

admin    confirm  edithtml  listinfo  options  rmlist  subscribe
admindb  create   private  roster

> I'm a little confused by not seeing the expected URL
> subdomain.example.com. Our list is
> list at subdomain.example.com; we don't
> use cloud.example.com (there's no MX record
> for it).

That's a cPanel thing. If you're going to use bin/newlist to create
lists, I would replace 'cloud' by 'subdomain' in DEFAULT_URL_HOST
(assuming that's tyhe web domain too) and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST.

> # grep subdomain *
> returns no matches in the folder where the config files reside
> (/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman)

strings /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/*/config.pck |\
 grep subdomain

will probably find a few.