[Mailman-Users] Where in the code is the message footer added?

David dave at fiteyes.com
Sat Apr 21 01:13:33 CEST 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 7:03 PM, C Nulk <CNulk at scu.edu> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Some of the users at my site send/post their messages in HTML format.
> As we know Mailman does its best to add the list's message footer.  At
> our site (with HTML formatted messages), the footer usually appears as
> an attachment (generally called Part.002 or Part.003, etc.).

We just resolved this pretty well with Mark's help. Here are my notes for
how we fixed it. The full discussion took place in recent days, so if you
are just now joining the list, check this week's archives.

Supporting HTML email with correct footers:

>To reproduce:
>
>1. Turn content filtering on, but set plain text conversion to NO:
>
>Should Mailman convert text/html parts to plain text: No
>
>2.  Send html emails through the list using web-based gmail on each end.

Is text/html in the pass_mime_types content filtering setting?

Is collapse_alternatives set to No?

I suspect that one or both of those is not the case, and setting them
will solve your problem.

I further suspect that collapse_alternatives is the issue. Gmail
creates a multi-part alternative message with a text/plain alternative
containing Gmail's conversion of the HTML and a text/html alternative
containing the HTML.

If collapse_alternatives is Yes, Mailman simply replaces the
multipart/alternative part with the first (i.e.text/plain) alternative.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/84A9> for a more
complete discussion.