[Mailman-Users] multiple footers accumulating on messagesasdiscussion progresses - how to eliminate all but the last mailman footer?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 20 21:48:53 CEST 2012

David <dave at fiteyes.com> wrote:

>I like the following Mailman options page:
>
>%(web_page_url)soptions/%(list_name)s

If the list is personalized, it may be better to use just

%(user_optionsurl)s

The difference is that user_optionsurl is equivalent to

%(web_page_url)soptions/%(list_name)s/%(user_address)s

This has the advantage of pre-providing the users email address which
avoids the user's having to type it and the issues of the user not
knowing which of her many addresses is actually subscribed to the list.

I don't think there's normally an issue around the address being
sensitive information since if the user replies to or forwards the
message, her address is in the From: header of the reply/forward
anyway.

This might be a concern for an anonymous list, but not otherwise.

>A footer link to this page may work well because it has a clearly visible
>unsubscribe option.
>
>This leads to two questions:
>
>1. Where is the html template for this options page? It is not one of the
>items found at "Edit the public HTML pages and text files". (The only
>related template I see is for the page that is shown *after* logging in to
>the above page.)

There is no template for the options login page. It is built on the fly
by the loginpage() function in the Mailman/Cgi/options.py module.

You can edit the strings in that module if your lists are English
language only, but changing those strings breaks i18n translations of
them.

A more robust way to do this is to create the path
messages/en/LC_MESSAGES/ and create a mailman.po in that directory
with just the "translations" you need, and then use msgfmt to cerate
the corresponding mailman.mo file.

>2. Where is the text for the unsubscribe confirmation message so we can
>customize that?

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/jYA9>. The name of the template
is unsub.txt.