[Mailman-Users] multiple footers accumulating on messages as discussion progresses - how to eliminate all but the last mailman footer?

David dave at fiteyes.com
Fri Apr 20 06:06:39 CEST 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 5:56 AM, David <dave at fiteyes.com> wrote:
>
> > I would think this is a common request, but I can't find any
> > mention of it anywhere.
>
> Does this actually bother your users?  IME lists where this is a
> problem, it's a much smaller problem than top-posting itself, and the
> users aren't going to notice because they don't read any of the
> included content anyway.  I suspect that's why nobody (that I can
> remember) has ever asked for this before.

Stephen and Mark - you guys have given me a lot of good advice. I
appreciate it.

Maybe I can narrow my problem and find a better solution without the
challenges of a general solution.

The main issue is that we include a personalized "instant unsubscribe" link
in the footer, no password required. Our users seem to really want/need
this. Many times they cannot unsubscribe themselves with any other method
we have tried. However, we did not initially consider that any one person
can easily unsubscribe another person in the thread because of the
accumulated footers.

Here are our current personalized footers:

%(real_name)s mailing list
Reply to: %(real_name)s@%(host_name)s
Your settings: %(user_optionsurl)s
Remove me from this list:
 %(user_optionsurl)s?unsub=1&unsubconfirm=1&password=%(user_password)s

It would probably be satisfactory to remove any url containing the string
"unsubconfirm". Removing the user's user_optionsurl link would be nice, but
not as absolutely necessary.

I can probably find a good regex that will recognize a URL and I can tailor
that to match only URLs like the above. Given that, is there a custom
module that is built to apply regular expressions for search/replace? I
don't know Python. (But I would love to learn it when time permits.)

I reviewed http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030615.

Coding the handler module itself requires some knowledge of Python and
Mailman and won't be discussed further here except that there is a simple
template/example at
MyHandler.py<http://wiki.list.org/download/attachments/4030615/MyHandler.py?version=1&modificationDate=1283485784289>
.

Using that template for my purposes would require much more than changing a
couple lines of code, so I don't think I can adapt/use it. I'm hoping
someone has already created a handler for the purpose of doing a
regex-based search/replace. Searching Google on "mailman search replace
module OR handler" didn't turn up anything, however.

Regards,
David