[Mailman-Users] Output from "cron" command

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 13 00:51:59 CEST 2012

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>Con Wieland wrote:
>
>>I just received a few hundred lines similar to this from my cron output:
>>
>>File "/usr/lib/python2.4/copy.py", line 268, in _deepcopy_dict
>>   y[deepcopy(key, memo)] = deepcopy(value, memo)
>> File "/usr/lib/python2.4/copy.py", line 174, in deepcopy
>>   y = copier(x, memo)
>> File "/usr/lib/python2.4/copy.py", line 241, in _deepcopy_list
>>   y.append(deepcopy(a, memo))
>> File "/usr/lib/python2.4/copy.py", line 174, in deepcopy
>>   y = copier(x, memo)
>> File "/usr/lib/python2.4/copy.py", line 305, in _deepcopy_inst
>>   state = deepcopy(state, memo)
>>
>>version 2.1.9
>>
>>any ideas
>

>Were there lines in the output like
>
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>If so, and if there is more than one, please post an entire traceback
>starting with a line like that and continuing to the line before the
>next one.
>
>If not or if there is only one traceback, post the first 20 lines and
>the last 20 lines.

I looked at this a bit, and copy.deepcopy is called only one place in
Mailman and that is in the production of the MIME format digest, so I
suspect the exception comes from cron/senddigests and that some list's
digest.mbox contains a message with a MIME structure such that
copy.deepcopy() gets into a loop trying to deepcopy the parsed message
object.

Finding which list is somewhat tricky. If you don't have too many
lists, you can look for which lists have lists/*/digest.mbox files,
and run

  cron/senddigests -l LISTNAME

manually, one list at a time until you find the problem list and then
look at its digest.mbox for a malformed spam message.