[Mailman-Users] separate advertised option for web and mail

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Sep 30 17:17:42 CEST 2011

Tomas Macek wrote:

>I'm using Mailman 2.1.12 from the distribution package of Scientific Linux
>6.1. I found in source code, that when 'advertised = 1' and if server's
>hostname is eqal to the configured url, the mailing list name appears in
>web interface. But also the mailing list is present in the mail, when
>someone asks what mailling lists are on this machine.
>
>I would like to have an option to be able to advertise the list on the web
>page and
>separate option to advertise the mailing list via email, because I don't
>want to publish the mailing list names to the mail and still want to be
>able to manage them on the web interface.
>
>Is there anything new in newer Mailman versions? First look at the
>changelog did not helped.

There is nothing new on this in newer versions, nor is there likely to
be.

You can administer any list via the web, whether or not it is
advertised on the listinfo or admin overview pages, by simply
appending a slash and its name to the listinfo or admin URL. E.g.,
<http://www.example.com/mailman/admin/listname>.

Further, if you did have a separate switch for email 'lists' vs the web
overviews, what prevents users from going to the web overview to find
the lists?

Finally, it doesn't seem you'd need two switches in any case. You could
just skip the advertised check in Mailman/Cgi/admin.py and show all
lists regardless of advertised on the admin overview, but nothing
would prevent users from seeing them there too.